Friday, January 10, 2014

Frazzled Friday: Finding Balance

 Once upon a time many years ago, I was really into the "self help" thing. I bought book after book on different topics that would help me be a better person...lose weight...gain confidence...find self-esteem...get ahead...and the list goes on.

You name it. I probably read about it. Or...at least I purchased the book. For some reason, I use to think that perhaps purchasing the book was actually enough. I'm not sure why, but I guess I thought that the information in the book would transfer to me through the process of osmosis without me ever having to actually even crack the seal on the book and read it.

I tell you this because a few years ago, The Hubby stumbled into the world of self-help books. He's been through the Tony Robbins stage. The Jack Canfield stage. The Brian Tracey stage. Now, he's taking a real estate course and we are in the Brian Buffini stage.

The problem with this is that he likes to quote the stuff from these self-help gurus as if he is bestowing some great gift on me. Like I couldn't possible already know this stuff on my own. I should probably be happy that he wants to "enlighten" me, but the truth is...I have seen it, done it, and read it all before.

The thing is...none of it seems to work for me. My life is so far out of balance I don't even know really where to begin if I wanted to fix it. He just doesn't seem to understand that I've tried all the methods of goal setting and focus and planning and divisions of circles, brainstorming, brain dumping, and even meditation to try to get the brain to just shut up and be quiet.

This morning, I once again made the mistake of trying to talk to him about this (I should have learned this lesson by now...) and that led to about an hour of him quoting Brian Buffini analogies.

Where I'm going with all of this, however, is that I know what to do. I just don't know how to do it. The weight has to come off. The schedule has to get straightened out. The house has to get organized. Yet, it all seems to be spiraling out of control and I can't get everything to be quiet enough to where I can even think straight.

Okay, that part probably didn't make any sense, but basically what I mean is that I want to find some kind of balance that will work and I just don't know where to look. I suppose one of these gurus would say it has to come from inside...but....that doesn't seem to be working for me either.

Anyway, I guess this is a vent or a rant or just an observation. I'm not really sure. I just felt like I needed to get it all out there and then see if I can make sense of it. So...far....I got...

nothing.




*Image courtesy of Idea go / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

  1. Hi Darcy, I'm new to your blog but loved finding out it's the Year of the Horse !

    I agree with you life is about balance and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the person 'next door' so to speak.

    For the past five years I have been living the low carb high fat moderate protein lifestyle. Taking some exercise ... mainly walking and doing my best to get a good sleep pattern. I have been healthier and would not now choose to live my life any other way. It's also been great for my husband a Type 2 diabetic, as this LCHF lifestyle has kept his blood sugar numbers in check.

    Blogs are great for exchanging views, ideas and thoughts.

    I hope in 2014 you find the balance that is right for you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,
      Thanks for stopping by! I hope to follow in your footsteps and get the walking back in my life and perhaps more importantly...the good sleep pattern! I am so glad you have found the balance and I look forward to the day when I finally have it in mine! :-)

      Delete
  2. I think it's a natural thing to pick up every self help book and jump on any bandwagon. We are looking for a 'savior' to fix out problems. When in fact the only thing we need to do is look deeply into ourselves and just do it. Yes, I did just quote the Nike Slogan. And as a side note...I never really understood that slogan until I realized that fixing myself really is as simple as just doing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! It really is all about taking responsibility, pulling up those big girl panties and just doing what has to be done. I just wish I could lock that into my mind and not have to keep reminding myself. Perhaps I need a "Just Do It" tattoo! :-O

      Delete